Orchestral Colors of the Piano
Imagine if you had a whole orchestra at your fingertips - how would that advance your artistry?
Pianists practice a lot of notes and simultaneous voices, but it's easy to forget to listen to the quality of sound. How do we create notes that carry meaning and color, and have distinct attack and follow through? Freeing your imagination requires a practice involving Conscious Listening™ (connections of mind, body and heart). The most wholehearted way to communicate your imagination requires Artistic Practicing™ (creating an artistic vision with understanding - see Hear That!™ Harmonic Analysis, practicing mind-body awareness, and practicing tools of expression). Using the concept of instrumental timbres is a fast track to inspiring fascinating and intentional qualities of sound!
During this intensive, you will
*get all the extra motivations and social support to actually do the deep listening that is so easily lost in life's daily distractions,
*improve ear training by becoming more aware of tone colors, instrumental timbres, and the beauty and diversity of sound,
*learn how to technically express through muscle toning exercises and breathwork,
*unleash your own imagination to build a foundational soundscapes in 5+ new piano solos,
*be equipped to play solo music like a whole ensemble, and chamber music with more nuances, by listening for how you blend timbres.
Each live Zoom workshop is preceded by video lessons and "micro-practicing" bite-size homework recordings, and followed up by a chance to redo your homework recordings. Our weekly excerpts are very short to accommodate busy lives, but challenging enough to require your creativity and focus.
You will instantly have accountability partners to keep you focused and encouraged in this small group.
In week five you will bring an excerpt of your own choosing, after getting a mini coaching session with me, and then vote for someone else in the class. The person with the most votes in this optional friendly contest will
1) a $250 scholarship to study with me at Rocky Ridge Music Center in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado in August 2023,
2) a "harmonic analysis in performance" private coaching with me ($160 value), and
3) a YouTube interview to process your transformation further and to encourage others.
Piano solo/transcription excerpts of Bach, Bartok, Ravel, Schumann, Mussorgsky.
Intermediate - advance level. If you have a busy work schedule or want to digest more fully, this can be modified to just individual lines or skeletal chords at any time.
Attend the Free Zoom Info Session SAT 1/21/23 11:35am - 12noon ET
*Email TheNutmegStudio@gmail.com to register your email for Zoom. Sit at your piano if you'd like to try some exercises with me!
1. Discern your time and financial commitment. Live 1-hour Zoom classes are tentatively on SAT's 11am ET/9am MT, or possibly THU's 12pm ET/10am MT. (If this doesn't work with your schedule, please let me know what window of time does work, in case we have an alternate group.) A baseline of 1 hour homework + 1 hour Zoom a week is recommended.
Registration deadline is February 25th: $597.
*If finances are prohibiting you, there will be a $100 scholarship available for the most need or biggest impact to a new participant.
2. What questions do you have for me? Email theNutmegStudio@gmail.com to ask!
3. Fill out "Registration Form" by clicking the blue button below.
4. Make Payment by Zelle (Quickpay). I can provide an invoice if requested. Paypal or Snail mail check is fine if you prefer. Receipt of payment is confirmation.
Video: How class works
Video: A sample class from last year's intensive.
Professional Review of Hsing-ay's Intensives
"Hsing-ay Hsu has developed a unique blend of approaches to thinking about musicianship, interpretation and technical mastery, all the while attending to one’s emotional, spiritual and intellectual mindset. A prodigious artist in her own right, among her generation’s most compelling pianists, she has insights to share that can enlighten just about anyone interested in an enjoyable and satisfying journey at the keyboard."